Windows 8.1 Problem - Application Hang - Explorer.exe Hang

alketi

Hi guys!
I need some help with my laptop.
Every time I open my laptop windows explorer does not respond. I can not right click on files, folder or do any right click operation on computer, documents etc. Every time I do it, window explorer freeze and I get an error that windows explorer is not responding. Left click works normally. I want to emphasize that if I restart laptop then everything works normally and windows explorer always respond to me. I get the above error only when I open laptop after it is shutting down.

Error from event viewer:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 6/1/2019 5:02:58 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Pc
Description:
The program explorer.exe version 6.3.9600.18460 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 227c
Start Time: 01d51889bf5959da
Termination Time: 15
Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Report Id: 56ecd01f-847e-11e9-848b-f8cab83053b2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-06-01T15:02:58.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>202206</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Pc</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>explorer.exe</Data>
<Data>6.3.9600.18460</Data>
<Data>227c</Data>
<Data>01d51889bf5959da</Data>
<Data>15</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\explorer.exe</Data>
<Data>56ecd01f-847e-11e9-848b-f8cab83053b2</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

I hope someone can help me! Thank you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    window 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell / Inspiron 5558
    CPU
    Intel core i5-5200u cpu @2.20Ghz
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Hd Graphics 5500 / NVIDIA GeForce 920M
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky
Can you use Windows Explorer in Safe Mode? (Safe Mode is a stripped down version of Windows, where only the bare essentials are running. It is good for troubleshooting issues with Windows.)

To get to Safe Mode, shut down the computer, then power on. As soon as the Dell splash screen disappears, start tapping on the F8 key, about 2x per second. Soon you will see a menu on the screen - choose Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Networking. If you can use File Explorer in Safe Mode, then there is likely something running in the background which is interfering with it when you are running Windows in regular mode.

I had a similar problem once - there was a program called Format Factory which was running in the background, causing me not to be able to right-click in File Explorer; and I was running Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell (Classic Shell makes Windows 8.1 look and feel like Windows 7).

In order to find out if something is running in the background and causing the issue, you will need to kill the background processes one at a time, until the problem goes away. Once it goes away, you will know that it was caused by the last thing you killed.

Run MSCONFIG, and go to the Services tab. Check the box which says, "Hide all Microsoft services". Now you will see only the non-Microsoft services which are running.

Starting at the top of the list, uncheck one service, click Apply, then restart the computer. Once you are back in Windows, try using File Explorer. If all is now well, whatever you unchecked was causing the problem. Leave it unchecked. If the problem with File Explorer still exists, go back into MSCONFIG, go to the Services tab, re-check the item you just unchecked, and uncheck the next item, click Apply, then restart the computer. Once you are back in Windows, try using File Explorer.

Keep repeating the above till you figure out which service was causing the problem. Leave it unchecked, and you should be good to go. If, however, none of the services were causing the problem, go back into MSCONFIG and re-check the one that is still unchecked.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Back