It happened again!

TechnoMage

Power User
Yesterday, I did a re-install of Windows 8.1, to hopefully solve a problem with Windows Explorer running really slow.
During the initial install, the 8.1 installer put in a generic video driver, that actually worked OK.

But after and hour or so, and after multiple restarts, my screen totally changed, to a much higher resolution. Apparently, the OS realized it had the wrong Video Driver and installed the correct one for my NVIDEA video card.
I've written about this before, where the Windows 8.1 installer will install a workable driver during the initial install, and then upgrade it to a better driver later on.

So I just don't worry about not having the best driver for something during the initial install, because later on, the installer will realize its mistake and correct it.

In the dozens of times that I've installed Windows 8.1, I've never had to go fishing for a driver disk for anything.
However, with Windows 7, I always had to get out my motherboard drivers CD to install my Sound, Lan and USB 3.0, etc. Then find my Video card driver disk to get the video card properly set up. And of course, the Epson drivers disk to install my Epson printer, which 8.1 does for me.

If I were ever in question about installing Windows 8.1 (Pro/64) that concern is long since past. Windows 8.1 is the easiest OS to install, since DOS 6.22.

TM :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
Just go to the NVIDIA web page, select the correct driver for your graphics card, download the driver, and install it. Windows usually gives you the generic drivers to get the job done. The manufacturer provides the driver best suited for your system and/or any improved driver that might follow. To be honest the easiest OS I've ever installed was Linux Mint but I have to agree that Win 8.1 was and likely still is the easiest Windows OS to install. System boards that are older than 5 years should give you no trouble with Windows 8.1. As for boards manufactured in 2020 or later, you could find yourself in a battle with firmware and warning popups stating that your operating system is not compliant with the hardware. It's very annoying and next to impossible to eliminate. It's just one of those Windows things. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Linux Mint and more
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    X99 E-WS USB 3.1, CROSSHAIR HERO VIII
    Memory
    128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR, 32 GB TEAM GROUP T FORCE
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 1070, SAPPHIRE RX 590 NITRO+
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    :::GRINS::: SERIOUSLY?
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
Back