How to change default font color in WinMail Vista?

Kukattooo

How to change default font color in WinMail (Windows Mail from WIndows Vista used on Windows 7/8/10)?

Default font color is set to "user defined" in the settings and appears actually as a clear olive that is badly visible (on any background color).

How to change that default font color (to not needing to change it manually each time you start composing a new mail or answer)?

Btw: This WinMail from Windows Vista (not Mail App from WIndows 10 or Live Mail) on Win7/8/10:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
WinMail font color is changed via WinMail top tab of:
Tools> Options> Compose> Font Settings> Color, and select/toggle in any color you want (and click Apply to set it)
As shown in this screenshot.
(this screenshot I just made is from your Windows 8 OS, but it's actually the same no matter what OS you adjust it from)

WinMailFontColor....jpeg

To change the WinMail GUI border outline colors, etc, as always that is controlled by the OS Personalization settings via:
Control Panel> Personalization> Desktop Background and/or >Color and Appearance.
(navagation to get there is a slightly different path on Win10/Win8/Win7 ...but you get the idea)

That Olive green font certainly is/was not default, and whomevers/whatevers reg files you merge/used is certainly not from the original Tutorial <vbg>

For best WinMail operation, always use the Original WinMail Tutorial instructions and files attached at the very link you posted.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
OK, thanks – working ... :)

On the one hand is it what I was thinking of – but I expected to set the "user defined" color onto black and keep it "user defined". The weird thing now is that the setting "user defined" is no longer available after having chosen any of the available colors ... (as usual i set it to black).

The setting for "desktop background" is set to automatic; the edge color changes with the dia show that is running for desktop background. But that clear olive color (that was much clearer than the dark olive you have put your cursor on; the clearness was somewhat between "Lime" and "Yellow" in the up-popped list) was always the same. I would have expected that if there would be some dependence to the desktop background it should also change with the background color that changes along with the desktop background pic at the moment of you start a new email ... but that's (or would be) gadgetry ... :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
The setting for "desktop background" is set to automatic

If you showed a screenshot of what you want, it would be easier to see and know what you mean, and want to accomplish.

There are so many ways you can set the color though, for instance, go to the Control Panel Color & Appearance setting gui (as shown circled in screenshot address bar ((in screenshot below)) ..if you take your Desktop background off of Automatic, and put it on one of the other color showings, and then toggle the Color Mixer to show - and adjust that to your liking, then you have even more ways to set your colors. It's almost endless it seems.
With the Desktop Background set on automatic to pick colors though, it's ever changing to whatever you have showing and more like a chameleon changing its color to its surroundings (especially on Win10 iirc). I personally prefer to choose my own though, as evidenced to what colors I have showing on all the screenshots shown in the WinMail tutorial, but ymmv.
(btw, I used Win8 for my screenshot since that's what you have? ...but I could use any OS, as each OS options are slightly different)
color.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP