Help needed! Windows Explorer memory leak

KlnxStrm

Erhm, so I have been using this PC (HP 625) for the past year now and I have had this issue for 3-4 months now. At first I thought the problem was malware so I did a complete format of my laptop but the problem was still there even after the reset.

Whenever I'm connected to the internet through WiFi, Windows explorer eats up 2.5GB of RAM (that's 30% of my memory, I have 8GB of RAM installed) and If I do manage to clean it up (by restarting the process), it builds up to 2.5GB in just 2-3 minutes if my WiFi is still connected but if it's not connected the RAM usage will remain normal.

Attached is a screenshot of the task manager when WiFi is not connected and when it's connected.

I will be really grateful if someone who has had an experience of this comes through for me, it's really worrisome and I can't really use my PC the way I want because once my workload becomes intensive, the PC can be really unresponsive.

1698290781928.png
1698290484053.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    AMD Athlon(tm) II P360 Dual-Core Processor 2.30GH
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Browser
    Google Chrome
You appear to have lots of open apps.

You might want to boot your computer into Safe Mode and see how the usage looks

Let us know how you get on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
You appear to have lots of open apps.

You might want to boot your computer into Safe Mode and see how the usage looks

Let us know how you get on.
I don't think it's the open apps. Whenever I restart the explorer my memory usage goes back to normal and it remains that way but as soon as PC is connected to the internet through WiFi, the usage sky rockets within 2-3 minutes for no reason. I don't know what the reason could be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Browser
    Google Chrome
OK, if you feel that Explorer is at fault verifying and repairing Windows system files (of which explorer.exe is one of) would resolve this issue. The linked article shows you how to repair system files - How to repair Windows system files

I would still suggest opening in Safe Mode to see if the problem persists.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
OK, if you feel that Explorer is at fault verifying and repairing Windows system files (of which explorer.exe is one of) would resolve this issue. The linked article shows you how to repair system files - How to repair Windows system files

I would still suggest opening in Safe Mode to see if the problem persists.
I have done the DISM and SFC scan multiple times and it couldn't solve it. I don't know what the problem could be, but it's pretty annoying. Several users complained of it on Microsoft's forum. Here's the link - Windows Explorer Memory Leak
What's left is safe mode, I will do that promptly and update the thread.
BTW, I appreciate the concern @DKenn :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Browser
    Google Chrome
It appears that the issues being faced by users on MS forum might be caused by different issues.

There doesn't seem to be anything running under your exporer.exe process, which does imply a leak. I would use a diagnostic process to rule out third-party apps/services. You can do this by stopping Services and processes for known apps (e.g. Google Chrome) in Task Manager, whilst monitoring with Process Explorer.

Booting into Safe Mode would do a lot of this - in your case I would consider Safe Mode with Networking.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
Hello :)

Just like you said, I booted into Safe Mode with networking and there was no leak of any sort. Which means the problem is likely caused by a third party service or process. Now, the major problem is finding the culprit. Any idea on how to do that?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Browser
    Google Chrome
I would use a diagnostic process to rule out third-party apps/services. You can do this by stopping Services and processes for known apps (e.g. Google Chrome) in Task Manager, whilst monitoring with Process Explorer. When you stop the right service or process the leak should stop.

You mentioned that the problem starts when WIFI is connected - so I would start will all apps that use the internet, e.g. apps that live update etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
Hello :)

Just like you said, I booted into Safe Mode with networking and there was no leak of any sort. Which means the problem is likely caused by a third party service or process. Now, the major problem is finding the culprit. Any idea on how to do that?
Try autoruns

Create a restore point, then disable everything until you are left only with the bare minimum (many things load at startup) and see if it helps, this will remove any interference of third party programs being loaded.

Other than that (programs) it may also be a driver. I've had weird experiences installing Windows from official ISO on some laptops, where the memory consumption was odd, or there were memory leaks (often IP helper / Windows Update and I don't remember the others). Installing the drivers from official sources didn't help, using the drivers from previous backups didn't help, and what solved the issue was installing from the official recovery laptop brand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 / Windows 10
Back