Disable Win 8.1 (64 Bit) Smart Screen?

JWA

Complete noob here so bear that in mind please.......

Trying to download and install the latest version of SABnzb v3.7. , currently have v3.1.1 running without problems or issues but think it might be prudent having the latest version. Something called "smart screen" stops the downloaded file from opening and being installed. My computer is HP built but I cannot find a way to disable that feature allowing me to update that particular feature.

ANY help would be appreciated, talk to me like a 3 year old but not that tech savvy!

TIA

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro
Disable Windows Defender service, works fine for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 3770 (non K) @ 4.45 GHZ / Ryzen 5 3600
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77 / MSI B450
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 / 16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 1050 Ti / GTX 970
    Screen Resolution
    x2 1920x1080
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/s Down | 2Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Google Chrome 109
    Antivirus
    No
    Other Info
    No Windows Update/Windows Defender
Try from Control Panel :)

Control Panel > System and Security > Action Center > Change Windows SmartScreen settings

1669565215180.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 3770 (non K) @ 4.45 GHZ / Ryzen 5 3600
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77 / MSI B450
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 / 16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 1050 Ti / GTX 970
    Screen Resolution
    x2 1920x1080
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/s Down | 2Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Google Chrome 109
    Antivirus
    No
    Other Info
    No Windows Update/Windows Defender
^^^ Thanks for sharing that bit of information--will be helpful in the future I'm sure.

So it seems I have Win 8 Pro w/Media Center so now the challenge becomes finding what download update link I need to use for the desired update. I'm sure this is a relatively simple process and yet it escapes me. I'm probably going to need a remote assistance helper accomplishing this chore.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro
In general, if you are trying to download and install a new version of the software and you are having trouble with a "smart screen" feature, there are a few things you can try.

First, you can try disabling the smart screen feature in your operating system. To do this, you will need to follow the instructions for your specific operating system. For example, in Windows 10, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the Start menu and type "smart screen" in the search box.
  2. Click on the "Change SmartScreen settings" option.
  3. In the SmartScreen settings window, click on the "Change settings" link.
  4. In the next window, scroll down to the "Security" section and look for the "SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge" option.
  5. Click on the drop-down menu next to this option and select the "Off" option.
Alternatively, you can try bypassing the smart screen feature by right-clicking on the downloaded file and selecting the "Run as administrator" option. This should allow you to install the software, even if the smart screen feature is blocking it.

Another option is to check the website where you downloaded the software to see if there are any known issues or compatibility problems with the smart screen feature. You may need to download a different version of the software or follow specific instructions provided by the website to install it properly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win11
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back